Cool Kids is a proven, ten-session program for children aged 7-11 who are struggling with high levels of anxiety, and their parents. Children benefit by attending group sessions with other kids with similar difficulties, and learning how to recognise, manage and reduce their anxiety.
Current results indicate that most young people who complete our programs show significant improvement. In fact, studies have shown that, by the end of the program, 84% of children show moderate or greater change and that the changes last over time.1
Topics covered in the program include:
- Learning about feelings and anxiety
- Learning to think more realistically
- Parenting an anxious child
- Fighting fear by facing fear
- Learning other coping skills such as building assertiveness or learning to solve problems
- How to deal with setbacks and difficulties
- Maintaining progress after the program ends.
We know from research2 that better results are gained when parents attend with their children, so children aged seven years or older will only be accepted into the program if at least one parent (but preferably both) can attend with them.
- Rapee, R.M. (2000). Group treatment of children with anxiety disorders: Outcome and predictors of treatment response. Australian Journal of Psychology, 52(3), 125-129.
- Barrett, P.M., Dadds, M.R., and Rapee, R.M. (1996). Family treatment of childhood anxiety: A controlled trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 64, 333-342
Having seen the life changing gains that many participants have made after completing this program we offer it with confidence in its power to transform the lives of anxious children and their families.
The Cool Kids program provides highly effective tools for the treatment and management of anxiety. It empowers both children and parents in this regard in a way that, in my experience, has not been available through the public system.Mother
The Cool Kids course has been excellent. Our son has been able to identify and work through much as a result.Father
Cool Kids has made a positive and dramatic difference to how we manage our child’s anxiety! It has helped us all understand each other better and we are now much better equipped to manage difficulties and able to stay calm. Thank you so much! Cool Kids really makes a difference! I highly recommend it!Father
Elaine and Lynn have helped our family immensely. Our son was a very explosive and highly strung child when we started. Throughout the course he has become calmer, more confident and more caring. We are so grateful.Mother